Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You want me to pee where??

As I am still trying to catch up - I had surgery the middle of August to remove my Thyroid. I had a lovely goiter/nodule on the right side and when they got in there they found more of the same on the left side, so my doctor decided at that point to take out the whole thing. (Thank you) She was awesome and funny and a joy to work with. Because of the size of my neck, that size being fat , I was considered high risk for breathing so that put me in ICU after the surgery. I was put into what I liked to fondly refer to as the "supply closet". I took a picture with my cell phone because frankly, I wanted proof! I was sure if I told the story without the picture it would not be believable. Also, I wanted to see what my neck looked like and with no mirror, I look a mobile picture of that as well...


Yes, that is a curtain (no door) and yes, that is a fold out toilet that is coming out from under the sink. Those are boxes of latex gloves on counter, walkers in the corner and to the left is a cart with all kinds of hospital gear on it. Not in the picture is a room full of carts, IV stands and first aid stuff galore. Oh yes, and right in front of my bed was a counter with 4 computers on it. I now wish I would have kept track of all of the in's and out's of nurses, maintenance, whosels and whatsels. I am guessing I was in the room where nurses sneaked off to take and make their personal calls and at some point in the night I finally asked 2 nurses to save their "cost of tires" conversation till morning. I was ever so grateful to go home and pee in a bathroom with a door and a lock.




I panicked at first thinking the incision looked huge and then settled down once I realized that the thin lines on the side were surgical glue, ha - my bad! Life is back to normal and thanks to the marvels of medicine, I take a little blue pill every morning and it seems to do everything that my thyroid used to do - Yippee!

1 comment:

Kami said...

That's crazy! I can't believe that they stuck you in a room like that!! I am glad that you are feeling better