Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wednesday's Words of Wisdom

So I recently was on an American Airlines flight and as I was thumbing through their free magazine I found the article "Fountain of Youth" which caught my eye. Maybe that was because I was heading to my 20th Year Class Reunion (wow!) or maybe because lately I have been feeling as if my body is mad at me and falling apart is how it's going to show me who's boss. Any who, the article really moved me and I thought I might pass on the best parts and record them for myself so when I forget these little gems, I will have somewhere to reference them.

Six senior citizens were asked the same 12 questions: 1) Vocation 2) Avocations 3) Last years itinerary 4) What's next 5) Proudest Moment 6)Toughest Physical/Health hurdle I've faced so far 7) What I've given up 8) What I'll never give up 9) Perfect day 10) Most exhilarating experience 11) Best piece of advice for getting the most out of life 12) Life Philosophy

All answers where great, but the ones that I was most moved by were 11 and 12...

Jean Kendall age 75 Advice - "Never pass up an opportunity to do something new. You regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did."

Ray Bellem age 72 Advice- "You'll increase your workload productivity by about two hours a day by fitting in an hour of exercise - guaranteed! Life Philosophy - "If you keep all moving parts moving and feed yourself the right fuel, the human body can do amazing things.

Herb Fenner age 76 Advice- "Don't search for some mysterious life secret. Just keep going, have an open mind, and focus on the glass half full." Life Philosophy- "Attitude has everything to do with everything - period."

Wuni Ryschkewitsch age 84 Advice- "The older you get, the more you'll need to find something to be truly passionate about, be it music, art, photography, a sport - any activity that turns you on. Find out what it is, and indulge in it to the fullest." Life Philosophy- "Don't get old if you can avoid it. And when your body won't exactly permit this , let your spirit be your guide.

Carl Manus age 78 Advice-"Be happy and kind to everyone. Forgive everyone regardless of what they've done. Do not carry around hate and ill will - it'll only drag you down. Life Philosophy- "Enjoy every moment, and remember that all life is borrowed from God. Thank him regularly, and help others along the way - even if it's only with a kind word.

Creston Shaw age 86 Advice- "Get outside, and keep developing a positive attitude. You're going to need a lot of enthusiasm when you hit my age. Life Philosophy - "There's always a higher hill to climb - that's something you should embrace.

2 comments:

Jon, Launa, & boys said...

What good advice. Things to ponder and remember, for sure.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. It was very interesting to read.