Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Garage Sales - a whole new world

My friend Todd and I had a garage sale this last Saturday. What an experience! I'm tellen ya, it's a whole new world that I can now proudly say I have experienced. These are the things that I have learned:

1) Normally everything located Apt. #C3 is considered "ours" but when such items are being looked at as possible garage sale items, they quickly turn into "mine and yours" items.

2) If you think that your homemade crafts and family treasures are going to be your hot ticket items, think again. Want to know what my #1 items were, Womens belts! They went like hot cakes...to men. I know, totally strange. Nothing like having 3 men fighting over your belts and discussing that it would be real easy to make another hole in it to make it fit (smaller). Nice!

3) If you are having a hard time getting rid of your piece of junk, go a little higher in price and chances are you will sell it for more then your original offering price. I had this set of knifes that I had pulled out of the dumpster ( I'll save that story for another blog) and everyone was picking them up, I would ask for $2.00, they would offer $1.00 and I would refuse the offer. Finally I said "that's it, the next person that picks them up, I'm asking $5.00" and I did and he offered $3.00. Yippee - Treat your trash like a treasure and you'll make big bucks... or at least $3.00.

4) There are professional garage salers out there and some of them will try to bully you, don't let them!! Be strong. It's your stuff. Be the boss of your belongings. Yes, I was bullied and I am a better person today because of it. My new motto: it is better to give your items to an appreciative charity then a non-appreciative bully.

All joking aside , we had a good time and made a little pocket change to put away for a rainy day and If I'm not mistaken, I think I see a cloud up ahead.

3 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

I love this post. It shows some of that Wissa personality. I decided last garage sale when I was being bargained down from $2 to $1 on a baby outfit I had spent $40 on--that I would rather give the stuff away. I am glad you had fun.

Julie said...

Love the picture of our bucket baby!
You can come to Indio and have a garage sale with all of my crap (per Becky) since she refuses to do one for me:}

Julie said...

That wasn't Julie ...that was me , Gramma Jackie:}